What Is Laser Therapy?
Laser therapy is a treatment which utilizes low level laser light (a.k.a low level laser therapy, LLLT, photobiomodulation therapy, cold laser therapy, laser acupuncture) to stimulate the body’s own natural healing systems to relieve pain, reduce inflammation, promote regeneration of tissue, and other strong healing responses in the body. Lazer Dave, Certified Laser Therapist refers to this process as “super charged healing”.
The light source (laser device) is placed in contact with the skin allowing the photon energy from the laser to penetrate the tissues. The technology can in many cases be “curative” and in most situations can eliminate or reduce symptoms associated with many acute and chronic pain conditions conditions.
History Of The Laser
The word “laser” is an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. Lasers have been used in countries such as Europe, Russia, Canada and Australia for over 40 years. The theory was first described in 1916 by Albert Einstein who paved the way for the development of the therapeutic laser that is used today for pain. The first laser was developed in 1960. In 1967, A Hungarian professor of medicine named Andre Mester, M.D., discovered that accelerated wound healing occurred with low intensity laser irradiation of wounds. Dr. Mester is considered the father of laser therapy. He published multiple papers throughout the 60s, 70s, and 80s on scientific investigation and therapeutic application of ruby laser and helium neon laser.
In the late 1970s diode lasers were invented. This allowed low-cost, high-wattage lasers to become marketable, and revolutionized modern society for their application ranging from scanners to CD players, to optical transmission of data. Modern day medical lasers are engineered for the highly therapeutic near-infrared wavelengths 970 nm and 790 nm. Many scientific studies demonstrate that these wavelengths have significant unique properties for cell stimulation and pain suppression.
How Does Laser Therapy Technology Work?
Laser therapy works by supplying energy to the body in the form of billions of photons of light. The body absorbs this laser light on a cellular level and transforms it into chemical energy, which the body then uses to commence accelerated tissue repair and other strong healing responses in the body.
What Are The Benefits Of Laser Therapy?
There are four important effects of laser therapy:
- Regeneration of Injured tissue – laser light stimulates fibroblast development , collagen production, reduces the formation of scar tissue, and positively influences other formative cells.
- Reduction of Inflammation – laser light increases circulation and reduces swelling caused by inflammation.
- Relief of Pain – most patients report a significant reduction in pain after laser treatment. A large part of this is mainly due to the anti-inflammatory effect as increased circulation reduces pressure on nerves. In addition, elevated levels of endorphins (morphine like substances naturally produced by the body) reduce the sensation of pain.
- NEEDLE FREE STIMULATION OF ACUPUNCTURE POINTS – One of the most unique advantages of laser therapy is the ability to stimulate acupuncture points painlessly. Acupuncture with needles is used to illicit a strong healing response in the body for many different health conditions beyond pain reduction and tissue regeneration.
Can Low Intensity Laser Therapy Burn?
There are 2 types of medical lasers. High intensity lasers which cut through tissue and low level intensity laser which stimulates tissue repair, reduces inflammation, decreases pain and can promote other healing responses in the body.
What Conditions Does Lazer Dave Treat With Laser?
Dave Hanemaayer, Certified Laser Therapist in Ottawa specializes in using laser therapy to treat:
- Smoking Cessation, Quitting Smoking, Nicotine Dependency
- Other Addictions Including: Alcohol, Marijuana, Cannabis, Sugar, Carbohydrates, Drugs and more
- Stress, Anxiety, Depression
- Pain: Low Back, Neck, Shoulder, Knee, Hip, Foot Pain
- Arthritis, Inflammation, Sports Recovery
- Tendonitis, Bursitis, Achilles, Plantar Fasciitis
- Whiplash, Migraines, Headaches
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Scar Tissue
- Rotator Cuff Injury, Shoulder Dislocation
- Golfer’s Elbow, Tennis Elbow
- Ligament, Muscle, Tendon, Nerve Injury
- Bulging & Herniated discs, Disc Degeneration, Disc Herniation, “Slipped Discs”
- Wound Healing & Burns
- Sprains & Strains
- Bell’s Palsy
- and More…
Is Laser Therapy Safe?
The monochromatic coherent and polarized characteristics of the therapeutic light beam permit penetration of deep tissues without affecting normal cells. Any contraindications to treatment, risks or side effects are discussed individually with each patient to facilitate informed consent. Unlike most pharmaceutical solutions and other therapeutic options, laser therapy is non-toxic and non-invasive.
Is Laser Therapy Effective?
Over 5,000 scientific clinical studies worldwide have proven the success of therapeutic lasers in the healing of neural muscular-skeletal conditions. Efficacy rates in excess of 90% are routinely achieved.
What Kind Of Laser Therapy Device Does Dave Use?
Dave uses the most progressive laser therapy devices available, made by RJ Laser in Germany. RJ Laser has been making lasers for 30+ years.
TO BOOK A LASER THERAPY APPOINTMENT PLEASE CALL
Lazer Dave – Ottawa Laser Therapy Solutions
Serving the laser therapy needs of Ottawa, Kanata, Nepean, Westboro, Stittsville, Goulbourn, Carp, Dunrobin and surrounding areas.